SUGGESTED TRIP AROUND THE ANGUS AREA WOULD INCLUDE…..
Thursday 22nd June 2017 Judging day at Highland Show, including machinery, crafts and MUCH more.
Then build around that day including:
Looking round Edinburgh including an open top bus tour, Royal yacht Britannia, exploring the streets, up the Royal Mile to the castle (outsides)
Drive North and join in the Open Weekend at Dunlouise (DD8 2RU) and explore the county where our wonderful breed originated from, including:
- Aldbar castle (through the old archway, 200 meters and WALK left down the slope to the old church and Chalmers’ gravestones; home of the Nells of Aldbar)
- Glencadam Distillery a few miles further on (prebook the free tour)
- Glamis Castle and the 50 minute tour, buy memorabilia, good lunch, home of the late Queen Mother. A very “doable” castle!
- Newtyle church yard to Hugh Watson’s grave (our founding father of the breed), which is behind the church. Sunday 25th 10am church service with Rev Carleen Roberton - ALL welcome.
- Drive into Glen Isla and do the loop past Forter Castle, taking in the scenery although Angus cattle are now few. Eat and stay at the Glen Isla Hotel - small and rustic.
- Drive into Glen Clova to see more of Scotland, walk and eat at the Clova Hotel. Accommodation too.
- Drive into Glen Prosen to the Spott farm where the Jipsey family originated.
- Drive out of the glens into Kirriemuir, home of JM Barry and Peter Pan, Bon Scott statue and much more, for a small market town. Look behind Vissochi’s ice-cream shop at the flag stone inscriptions, lunch at 88 degrees or one of the other coffee shops.
- Prebook your golf at Forfar, Carnoustie, Kirriemuir, St Andrews etc
Monday 26th June - Dunlouise Native International Sale of live cattle (including info for overseas flushing), embryos, semen.
Moving on to Crieff Famous Grouse Whisky Experience, Pitlochry, House of Bruar (countrywear shopping, great food, a walk to the Bruar falls).
So, to all those people who have asked for help to create their own trip, I would advise you to Google the above, reserve all accommodation, come prepared for all weathers! And prebook your AUTOMATIC hire car.
More hotel suggestions on the other tour options.